Friday, June 8, 2012

Siri's World

Siri Tollerød is busy describing how she likes to spend her time when the camera isn't clicking or when she's not stalking down the runway to pulsing techno beats.

"I love fishing and I love dissecting fish - it's really the best part," she says excitedly. "The biggest fish I ever caught was about three kilos. It was dinner!"


 In the flesh, Siri is just as delicately beautiful as her pictures suggest. As such, it is hard to imagine this 23-year-old tugging at fish guts and relishing it. This is a girl who, this season alone, has walked for Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Dolce&Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Christian Dior and Alexander McQueen, among others, as well as appearing in campaigns for Marc Jacobs, Max Mara, Sportmax and Miu Miu.


But despite her New York life and her bulging portfolio, Siri is still a Nordic country girl at heart and the pull of the great outdoors remains. She moved to the US four years ago, a change that she is still trying to reconcile.

"It's very weird. When I'm here I miss being in the quiet countryside, but when I'm there, I miss New York City - the atmosphere, being able to call someone or have food delivered to my door at 2am." (Her late-night snack of choice is, she says, burritos.)


The story of her modelling career begins like that of many other models. One day, while shopping in a mall, the beautiful girl from Kristiansand in Norway is spotted by an eager scout. Soon she waves goodbye to Scandinavia, which is "very peaceful with lots of nature and forests", and finds herself in Milan on her first job.

"I was 16 years old and it was my first time doing anything," she says. "I think it was for bridal dresses. I was crying as my mum was leaving Milan that day and I was so scared to be there by myself, but I wanted to stay. The client was so nice, hugging me and giving me cookies."


After being plied with treats, she decided to remain in Italy, landing an Italian Vogue editorial, for which she was photographed by Steven Klein. Since then, the bookings haven't stopped.

Picking out career highs is a tricky task, she says. Instead, she lists the places she has visited, among them a memorable trip to France. "I've been to the Palace of Versailles, which was really beautiful. We went inside the palace and in the stable with all the horses, which was really nice." On the subject of her love life, she's a little more cautious. Yes, she has a boyfriend of a year. Yes, she is very happy.


During the shoot today, Siri is constantly smiling, revealing perfect teeth and a sweet temperament that has the fashion world smitten. And while she talks happily of wanting to pursue a career in marketing and business, modelling is her priority, she says. After all, there are few downsides to her job - although there have been some near misses.

"Knock on wood, I haven't tripped on a runway," she says, "I have, however, broken a heel twice… just keep walking!"

 photography by Viktor Vauthier
text by Naomi Bikis
via TANK Magazine

No comments: